The inequity in vaccine distribution
Today’s the day! Join Megan Hernbroth and a group of healthcare VCs for a discussion about the future of digital health, biotech, and startups at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT. I can’t wait!
Also today in healthcare news: Ways to fix the inequities in vaccine distribution, Northwell’s plan to work more directly with companies like Whole Foods, and how the future of sequencing companies like 23andMe is shaking out.
White Americans are getting more than their fair share of COVID-19 shots — but there are ways to fix the inequity
- Black and brown Americans are receiving fewer COVID-19 vaccine jabs, despite dying at higher rates.
- US health systems must fund better outreach and education in communities of color, experts say.
- In healthcare deserts, more mobile clinics could help residents get vaccines.
Read the full story from Hilary Brueck, Shelby Livingston, and Allana Akhtar here>>
New York’s largest hospital system is bypassing health insurers to work directly with big companies like Amazon’s grocery chain — and it could reshape the way workers get healthcare
- Northwell Health, New York’s biggest health system, has launched a venture called Northwell Direct.
- It’s partnering directly with big employers like Amazon-owned Whole Foods to keep their employees healthy.
- Northwell expects the pandemic to drive more partnerships as employers seek to control health costs.
Read the full story from Shelby Livingston here>>
We’re only ‘just scratching the surface’ on companies like 23andMe that map out our DNA. One analyst lays out what could take the industry to the next level.
- A CB Insights report on Thursday said the 23andMe SPAC has just scratched the surface of genomic sequencing’s growth potential in 2021.
- Funding for all sequencing startups, including DNA, proteins, and metabolites, hit a record high in the final quarter of 2020.
- With the personal DNA testing market waning, industry growth will largely be through healthcare partnerships and drug development.
Read the full story from Patricia Kelly Yeo here>>
More stories we’re reading:
- Vaccinators describe what it’s really like to administer COVID-19 vaccines: ‘I’ve never seen so many people happy to get a shot’ (Insider)
- Hundreds of thousands of counterfeit N95 masks were purchased by Washington hospitals (KOMO News)
- An epidemiologist is concerned that a highly contagious coronavirus variant could get a foothold in Florida thanks to the Super Bowl (Insider)
- Dr. Atul Gawande’s experience with Haven is shaping how he works to respond to the pandemic (Stat News)
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
Source: Read Full Article