Call of Duty games in order: By release date and timeline | The Sun
CALL of Duty is one of the most popular and successful gaming franchises in the world – and it hits its 20th birthday this year.
The warfare-based universe has amassed millions of players through dozens of titles since it debuted in 2003.
- Call of Duty Vanguard – order here
Timelines within the franchise stretch back from World War II through the Vietnam War all the way to fictional conflicts set in the distant future.
Any gamer looking to play through the entire collection has two ways to go about it -but you'll need a lot of spare time on your hands.
You can either play the games in order of their release, or for a truly immersive experience, by following the franchise in timeline order.
READ MORE ON CALL OF DUTY
I’m a hot gamer – I make over $70k and men can’t believe it when I beat them
COD: Warzone 2.0’s second season is already set to be worse than the first
We've put together a guide to completing the series one way or the other below.
Call of Duty franchise release order
- Call of Duty (2003)
- Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)
- Call of Duty 2 (2005)
- Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
- Call of Duty 3 (2006)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022)
To make things concise, we haven't included the mobile games or various DLC (downloadable content) packs that have come out over the years.
There are reports of another game arriving this autumn, which will be a continuation of last year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
Most read in Gaming
Tomb Raider games in order: By release date and timeline
GTA 6 massive leak reveals map size and locations
Catch a Ditto in Pokémon Go with these tips
Microsoft to take on Apple and Google with its own app store
Call of Duty franchise timeline order
- Call of Duty: WW2 (1940)
- Call of Duty: Finest Hour (1942)
- Call of Duty: World at War (1942)
- Call of Duty 2 (1942)
- Call of Duty (1942)
- Call of Duty 3 (1944)
- Call of Duty: Big Red One (1944)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (1945)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (1961)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (1960s)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (1980s)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1999)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2011)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2016)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2016)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2043)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2054)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (2065)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2080)
You can play the games in order of when they were set.
A lot of the games jump around across time, so we've taken the earliest date that the campaign takes place in.
Best Call of Duty game – tier list
The Sun spoke to top streamer BennyCentral to get his lowdown on the best Call of Duty games.
Here's his list, from worst to best:
N/A Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004) – "I never played it."
18th Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016) – "My least favourite Call of Duty, had a cool campaign and that’s about it."
17th Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005) – (no comment).
16th Call of Duty: WWII (2017) – "The return for World War 2, it never really worked for me."
15th Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) – "Like marmite, I personally didn't like this as I didn't enjoy the jet pack gameplay."
14th Call of Duty 3 (2006) – "Multiplayer for the first time! There's a reason it was remastered – BOG was also a great map!"
13th – Call of Duty (2003) – "Was only a campaign but my introduction to the Call of Duty franchise and I loved completing it on veteran."
12th Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020) – "The first integration game into Warzone, but for me wasn't my favourite Call of Duty."
11th Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021) – "Going back to the Modern Warfare Engine the multiplayer was actually really enjoyable again, though I still stick with Warzone."
10th Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) – "An underrated Call of Duty for me, but was a personal favourite because I had so much fun playing competitive."
9th Call of Duty: World at War (2008) – "I still remember playing World at War constantly just to play with the tanks, though the dog killstreak really took over! Plus who can forget the map castle."
8th Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) – "Fast-paced games on firing range with an MP5 was one of my favourite times in Call of Duty – plus one of the greatest campaigns in Call of Duty."
7th Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018) – "Brought healing your own health into the game which really changed the pace!"
6th Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015) – "Brought specialists into the game, which really mixed up the match ups – plus wall running! Had some great times playing custom mini-games with my friends on this."
5th Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) – "The Modern Warfare games have always been some of my favourites, and MW2 brought the tactical nuke into the series for the first time which was an unforgettable experience."
4th Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) – "A classic – the game that put Call of Duty on the map globally. Great story and multiplayer."
3rd – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) – "Modern Warfare really kicked off the franchise again for me, especially with the launch of Warzone – had a great feel with the new engine."
2nd Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) – "Part of the golden era of Call of Duty offering a new unique experience in Multiplayer with Specialist that allowed you to have every perk in the game including the M.O.A.B."
1st – Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) – "My all-time favourite Call of Duty, had it all. One of the greatest multiplayer experiences: killstreaks were incredible, loadstar, vtol, Swarm & dogs."
In other news, The Sun's favourite alternative to a games console is the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.
Check out the wildly impressive Panasonic 65HZ1000 TV, which makes most tellies look rubbish.
Read More on The Sun
I’m an interior designer – what you need from H&M to make your home look posh
I’m a rat expert – here’s why giant ‘super rats’ are taking over our homes
And Dell's Alienware R10 Ryzen Edition is a gaming PC powerhouse that crushes both the new consoles.
Which CoD is your favourite? Let us know in the comments!
How to play all your favourite games in order
- Grand Theft Auto games in order
- Tomb Raider games in order
- Assassin's Creed games in order
- Pokémon games in order
- Call of Duty games in order
- Halo games in order
- Resident Evil games in order
- FNAF games in order
- Uncharted games in order
- Wolfenstein games in order
- Battlefield games in order
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article