Samsung hints Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Fold 2 will launch later this year
PHONE launches around the world have been delayed due to recent events but this doesn't seem to be stopping Samsung.
Reports suggest the South Korean tech giant is still set to bring out the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 and the Galaxy Note 20 later this year.
The company's quarterly earnings report stated: "Looking ahead to the second quarter … the company will continue to offer differentiated products in the premium segment with the launch of new foldable and Note models."
This suggests the Galaxy Fold 2 might be on its way as its the only foldable Samsung device that's been hinted about.
A new version of the Fold is hotly anticipated, not only because of the controversy surrounding the original.
It's also expected to cost a considerable amount less than the first one.
Fans are awaiting the Galaxy Note 20, after a suspected image of it leaked on the Samsung website.
Samsung appears happy to go ahead with the launches despite anticipating reduced smartphone demand.
It may also have to deal with production issues and setbacks with factories in China and South Korea.
The anticipation of selling less handsets may mean less will be made.
Samsung is also planning to ride out reduced demand in other ways.
It has plans to expand "5G adoption to mass-market smartphones”, which could mean it will release an affordable 5G phone.
References to mid-market products suggests Samsung may try and rely on the sales of it's cheaper phones during global economic worries until more people want to buy its expensive devices.
A brief timeline of the Samsung Galaxy Fold
Here's all the major things to happen in the controversial phone's history so far…
- May 2011: South Korea’s Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology announces its researchers have made a folding smartphone prototype
- November 2013: Samsung promises to bring folding display devices to the market
- Spring 2016: Engineers start working on what we now refer to as the Galaxy Fold
- Otober 2018: Samsung officially confirms its foldable phone is on the way
- February 20, 2019: The Samsung Galaxy Fold is unveiled with May 3 release date and a staggering £1,800 price tag
- April 15, 2019: Journalists with early access to the phone complain its screen breaks after a couple days of use
- April 22, 2019: Samsung announces it's postponing the Fold days before release to address and fix durability issues
- May 31, 2019: All pre-orders of the Fold are cancelled by Samsung, with no new release date in sight
- June 18, 2019: Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol claims "most of the display problems have been ironed out"
- September 18, 2019: Samsung relaunches the Fold in the UK following a hasty redesign
In other news, Apple has added a new feature that could help people trying to use Face ID with a mask on.
A new Facebook scam reportedly enables hackers to steal $1.6million from regular users of the social network.
And, experts released an urgent warning to cover your Android, desktop and laptop cameras.
Are you looking to buy a new phone at the moment? Let us know in the comments…
Source: Read Full Article